Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Elephant Seals & Rockstars

It was an awesome holiday weekend full of relaxing, sleeping in, catching up on life, beautiful weather, and good times with friends. It also meant enough time to fit in a day trip up to Pt. Reyes National Seashore Park and an Andy Grammer concert, both of which are worthy of some picture evidence :)

POINT REYES NATIONAL SEASHORE PARK
Kels & I have been wanting to do a Pt. Reyes trip for months now, but with it being winter we thought it might have to wait until Spring. With the 60-70 degree weather we've been having lately (have I told you often enough how happy I am to be back in California?) it ended up being a perfect weekend to go. Four cars of friends headed up there and give or take some coordinating difficulties due to no cell service, it was a great day! Here are some highlights:
The drive from Oakland took a little over an hour and some of it was through a grove of redwoods. It was gorgeous!
The group, minus one car we lost to the lack of cell service.
300 steep steps down to the lighthouse where migrating whales have been seen over the past few days. One of the park rangers told us 50 had been spotted two days ago!
The amazing view from the lighthouse. When we got there a group of people told us they had just seen a whale breach. Unfortunately we didn't see it come up again.
If you look at the beach, there are hundreds of elephant seals spread out along it. On the viewing deck they had these really nice cameras set up so you could zoom in and look at them. There were a ton of super cute pups and we saw two of them get into a pretty rowdy fight.
We couldn't figure out if it was the elephant seals or all the cows/farms that we passed driving in, but it smelled pretty terrible on that viewing deck.
On the Chimney Rock hike we got to look down a cliff onto an enclosed beach and got some great close-ups of the elephant seals! After the hike, a few of us headed out to a great Chinese dinner where lots of laughs, YouTube favorites, and rejoicing about the 49er's win was shared. Overall, I couldn't have imagined a better way to spend a Saturday :)

ANDY GRAMMER CONCERT
Thanks to Michelle, Katie, and Jules, and an absolutely incredible concert last night, I'm officially an Andy fan! Most people know him for his "Keep Your Head Up" song that has been at the top of the charts lately, but these ladies have been following him since he first got started on the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica years ago. It was his first tour as the headliner and it was a pretty awesome feeling being able to support him as he starts out on his music career. Rachel Platten (check out 1000 Ships) and Ryan Star (Jules & I couldn't get enough of Start A Fire) opened for him. Unfortunately Michelle had a fever so couldn't join in, but she lent me her red Andy shirt so I could fit in :)
Going clockwise, that's Andy, Zach, and Dave, hands down the cutest musicians ever. We made some new friends to rock out with while we were there too.
Zach from Andy's band came out after the show and I got to take a picture (disregard the blurriness) with him! Michelle still needed his signature on her shirt that I borrowed so I kindly held his apple juice while he signed it :)
We also got a picture with Craig, the dreamy drummer/piano player for Rachel Platten. He told Jules and I that the next time we go to their concert we have to use the code word "Taz" (his favorite dog) so he remembers us :)
We waited and waited after the show ended (as the bouncers told everyone to leave we pretended to be in line for merch) and Andy finally came out for a picture op!! He was so nice and appreciative that we had come out to see him. So in honor of Andy, here's some of my favorites that I can't get enough of:

Build Me A Girl (one of my absolute favorites)
You Should Know Better & Miss Me (break-up must-listen-to's)
Biggest Man in Los Angeles (throwback to his 3rd St Promenade days)